Here are the rankings.
1. New Rochelle (5-0): Love the way the defense is playing right now. Completely dominated Gorton on Saturday. The Huguenots aren’t as good as I think they can be. But they’re getting close.
2. Iona Prep (4-1): Sorry John Jay, but the Gaels are just too good right now. Beating Mount is a major statement for this team, especially without Darlos James, their star running back. Iona is only going to get better, too.
3. John Jay (4-1): The Indians played their best game of the season and dropped a spot. Go figure. It’s more of a testament to Iona than anything. John Jay is surging, too and gearing up for the postseason.
4. Fordham Prep (5-0): Beating St. Francis Prep officially puts the target on Fordham’s back in the AA division. Stepinac, by the way, feels it can beat Fordham. We’ll find out in two weeks.
5. North Rockland (4-1): Fasting rising Red Raiders continue to improve at the right time. They gutted out a big win over Clarkstown South to keep stranglehold on Rockland County. They’re the favorite now to reach Mahopac for the sectional finals.
6. Mount St. Michael (2-3): I understand that the record is ugly but the team is still a title contender, like it or not. I’m anxious to see how the Mounties respond with Chaminade on tap.
7. Fox Lane (4-1): The Foxes were very impressive, especially on defense, in Friday’s 35-6 win over Ossining. They the new favorites in a wild Class A conference — for now. I know they lost to Mahopac but not having Mike Mathews changes everything.
8. Harrison (4-1): Having seen Harrison and Ossining in consecutive weeks, I’m giving the Huskies a slight edge, although I know both are capable of playing far better than I witnessed. I think last week’s loss to Rye will focus Harrison down the stretch.
9. Mount Vernon (5-0): All this team does is win. They deserve to be here.
10. Ossining (4-1): We’ll see what this team is made of with Clarkstown South coming to town on Friday night. Same could be said about South.
Honorable mention: Somers (4-1); Stepinac (3-2); John Jay-EF (3-2); Mahopac (4-1); Carmel (4-1); Clarkstown South (3-2); Eastchester (5-0).